THERE is often an assumption that New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are both federal holidays.
However, there is a slight distinction between these days.
Is New Year’s Eve a federal holiday?
New Year’s Eve is not supposed to be a federal holiday, but will technically be a holiday in 2021 because of certain rules.
Since New Year’s Eve falls on a weekend on Saturday 1, January 2022, New Year’s Day will be observed as a federal holiday on New Year’s Eve on Friday 31 December 2021.
This is because when federal holidays fall on a Saturday, they are observed on a Friday, and when federal days fall on a Sunday, they are observed on a Monday.
Which other federal holidays have fallen on a weekend in 2021?
Similar to New Year’s Day falling on a Saturday, and will be observed as a federal holiday on a Friday, other federal holidays have fallen on a weekend and observed on a weekday in 2021.
July 4, 2021, fell on a Sunday, however, it was observed on Monday 5 July 2021.
Similarly, Christmas day will be on Saturday 25 December 2021. Nevertheless, it will be observed on Christmas Eve, Friday 24 December 2021.
What are the upcoming federal holidays in 2022?
Overall, there are 11 federal holidays to look out for in 2022:
- January 1: New Year’s Day
- Third Moday in January: Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday
- Third Monday in February: Washington’s Birthday
- Last Monday in May: Memorial Day
- June 19: Juneteenth
- July 4: Independence Day
- First Monday in September: Labor Day
- Second Monday in October: Columbus Day
- November 11: Veteran’s Day
- Fourth Thusday in November: Thanksgiving Day
- December 25: Christmas Day
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?